Friday, June 24, 2011

Marking a 100th Cave Dive

We tend to measure our path through life with milestones -- markers that represent certain accomplishments for which we can look back at each marker and exclaim "I did this!" 

L-R: Kristi "Reefnut" Draper, Eileen Kennedy, Rich Courtney
My cave sister, Eileen, and I returned last week from another trip to Florida's awesome cave country. On our second dive in the Little River system she completed her 100th cave dive since earning her cave diving certification. In the cave diving community that’s a big deal. During our decompression stop in 15 feet of water I presented Eileen with a cave-arrow pendant necklace I’d hidden in my thigh pocket before the dive. She was surprised and delighted and wore it proudly the rest of the trip. The local dive shop even advertised Eileen’s milestone dive on their marquee.

The National Speleological Society Cave Diving Section marks this achievement with a special recognition called the Abe Davis Award. Abe Davis was a freed slave in post-Civil War Florida who earned money from spectators by free diving in the Little River cave system. He went in at one entrance, swam through a lightless tunnel, and emerged about 40 to 50 feet away out of another entrance. Quite a feat without even a mask, fins, or underwater light! 

I still have a ways to go to hit that milestone, completing my 44th post-certification cave dive (96 total cave dives; including 52 training dives) by our last dive of the trip. 

There are old cave divers and bold cave divers. But there are no old, bold cave divers. I dive to be one of the old cave divers.

No comments:

Post a Comment